- Organisation Visitor Attraction
- Job Type Casual
Seasonal Contract: 10th Feb 2018 – 1st Jan 2019
Hours: Rolling rota: Includes alternate weekends and bank holidays. Hours vary depending on the season.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Welcome all visitors, schools and other groups visiting Hever Castle and to encourage visitors to engage with the exhibitions and activities.
- Excellent customer service; providing a friendly, helpful and approachable service observing at all times the principles of visitor care as defined by Hever Castle Ltd.
- Provide accurate and informative information to help all visitors enjoy their visit.
- Ensure visitors with special needs are offered appropriate and relevant assistance.
- Ensure all customers are offered appropriate guide books.
- Actively promote the benefits of membership to paying visitors in order to increase the membership database.
- Keep up to date with relevant policies and practices and issued by Hever Castle Ltd.
- Acquire a good knowledge of Hever Castle and Gardens, its history and events programmes.
- Help to maintain an attractive, clean and tidy environment.
- Ensure that all accounting procedures, daily and weekly are handled in accordance with Hever Castle’s policies and procedures, so that all audit requirements are adhered to.
- All transactions (cash, cheque and credit/debit card) are effectively handled following cash handling, cashing up and reconciliation procedures accurately.
- Be responsible for balancing takings at the end of the day in accordance with the current security and administrative procedures. Take all reasonable precautions as directed to keep cash, documentation, other valuables and equipment secure.
- Complete all necessary records and documents legibly and correctly.
- Ensure the general health and safety of visitors and employees.
- Dealing with visitor enquires on day to day basis.
- Ensure all visitors are offered a multi media guide on arrival and be able to demonstrate how to use the guide confidently.
- Discreetly ensure the comfortable flow of visitors throughout the Castle and ensure that queues are managed safely and effectively.
- Providing bespoke tours and talks for visitors.
- Interim cleaning and conservation of the castle and its contents.
- Participate in visitor events as and when required (this may involve wearing a period costume
- Assisting with exhibition installations, setting up for visitor events and the rearrangement or movement of heavy and bulky objects within the castle.
- Working in areas with low lighting and narrow steep spiral staircases.
- Deliver education workshops as and when required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Good basic education with evidence of competencies in numeracy and literacy.
- Knowledge of the Hever Castle estate and history.
- General awareness of health and safety and security issues.
- Well organised.
- Good team worker.
- Customer focussed.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written), engaging public presenter.
- Proven self-motivator.
- Able to cope with varying pressures.
- Second language (desirable)
- Customer service experience.
- Used to dealing with the public in face-to face situations.
- Cash handling. (desirable).
- Experience of working in the heritage sector or at a visitor attraction (desirable).
Hourly pay rate: age 25 and over is £7.50 increasing to £7.75 on completion of successful probation, under 25s start at £7.05 increasing to £7.30.
All salaries are reviewed each April.
Please mention tourism-jobs.co.uk when applying for this job.