- Salary £38,000 per annum pro rata
- Organisation Other
- Job Type Fixed Term, Full Time
About this position
The Marketing department is responsible for engaging a wide range of audiences in the activities of the RA, driving attendance and reaching revenue goals, as well as building the RA brand and working with our colleagues to support the wider business goals of the RA.
This is a great time to join the RA Marketing team and play a significant role in communicating the exhibition programme in our anniversary year. The role will be instrumental in leading and developing a seasonal approach to exhibition marketing as well as growing our understanding and analysis of our audience and customer journeys. Working closely with the Head of Marketing and CRM Manager you will have the opportunity to shape the RA marketing strategy during a crucial and exciting time in the RA’s history.
With at least 5 years’ relevant experience, you will demonstrate an ability to devise and implement data driven marketing strategies with an emphasis on digital marketing and own channel communications. You will have demonstrable experience in delivering against goals and KPIs and will have experience in successfully leading a small team.
Your exceptional communication skills will enable you to forge strong working relationships with colleagues from a wide range of departments, as well as external stakeholders and suppliers. Proactive and extremely well organised, you will have the ability to juggle multiple, demanding projects.
You will need to be flexible, enthusiastic and a strong team player, with exceptional IT-skills relevant to the role. You must be able to demonstrate a genuine interest and knowledge of the visual arts and enthusiasm for the work and objectives of the Royal Academy of Arts.
The benefits we offer
- A very generous pension, contributing up to 10% of your salary into a defined contribution scheme
- In addition to 25 days’ holiday and 8 days’ bank holiday each year, we close between Christmas Eve and New Year, allowing staff additional paid leave
- Staff are encouraged to attend free History of Art and life drawing classes on site
- We also have a staff choir, running club and craft club
- Best of all, we have reciprocal agreements with many leading museums and art galleries in London and New York that enable you to enter for free with your staff pass.
Closing date for applications: 3 October 2017 (midnight)
Interviews to be held week commencing: 9 October 2017
Under the general direction of the Head of Marketing (HoM):
- Using a data driven approach develop the annual seasonal strategy and positioning for communicating exhibitions, displays and projects across the RA – to include the full marketing mix
- Identify visitor journeys – from acquisition and conversion to reengagement and cross-selling of other strands of the RA offer. Develop KPIs for monitoring success and develop an approach for reporting on path to conversion.
- Lead on all digital advertising. Working with our digital agency to optimise Google Grant activity, programmatic display advertising, paid social media and overall digital strategy.
- Develop and implement a seasonal marketing strategy and related campaigns that showcases exhibitions and any beacon events and activities. This involves developing the creative, planning paid advertising and promotion, developing own channel communications and working with the Design & Production team to develop on site presentation.
- Work with the HoM and CRM Manager to identify and set customer journeys that maximise the lifetime value of visitors. Make recommendations on how to improve the customer journey and drive conversion – ensure all marketing channels are optimised accordingly.
- Establish KPIs for monitoring success and develop strategy for reporting on goals set for customer journey. Generate regular marketing reports which demonstrate return on investment against activities, cost per visitor figures, key findings, learnings and recommendations. Work with the Marketing Manager to produce a comprehensive final campaign report to be circulated at Executive level.
- Develop positioning and marketing strategy for all exhibitions. This involves working with the Head of Audience Insight to identify audience demand for all areas of the programme, work on forecasting audience attendance and delivering budget proposals to deliver targets.
- Contribute to the positioning of the free offer and oversee marketing strategy of displays, projects, Schools exhibitions and any other areas of the programme as specified by the HoM.
- Develop, manage and implement an annual digital advertising strategy. Develop dynamic creative templates, generate regular reports and drive optimisation throughout the year. Lead on strategy for integrating other business strands.
- Lead on optimisation of the RA’s Google Grant, ensuring all areas of the RA programme are promoted through this channel.
- Lead on offline media strategy, utilise data to inform the approach and track effectiveness of activity. Optimise and refine throughout the year.
- Work with Finance, Exhibitions, Visitor Experience and Audience Insight teams to ensure ticket allocations for exhibitions are set correctly and time slots are maximised to offer audience access and optimal visitor figures.
- Work with the Development Marketing Manager to ensure Friends recruitment and retention activities are integrated with campaign marketing.
- Work with the HoM to maintain successful relationships with media agencies, ensure best value for money and report on effectiveness of the media to help advise on future campaigns.
- Ensure RA brand is represented appropriately in all areas of activity.
- Line manage, coach and provide leadership for the exhibition marketing team, ensuring an innovative and rigorous approach.
- Contribute to the annual budget forecast; monitor specific budgets and expenditure throughout the year and report to HoM on a regular basis.
- Attend FOH and exhibition development meetings and any others as delegated by the HoM.
- Make sure that Health and Safety policies, procedures and regulations are known, understood and complied with by yourself, your team, contractors, suppliers and all others who work with the team.
- Undertake any other duty which may reasonably be allocated by HoM or other senior officer.
ESSENTIAL AND DESIRABLE QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Experience, ideally 5 years plus, in marketing and sales functions.
- Educated to degree level, CIM qualification preferred.
- Able to devise and implement data driven marketing strategies using the full marketing mix (with a strong emphasis on digital marketing and own channel communications).
- Solid experience in delivering against goals and KPIs with a background in customer journey marketing and optimisation. Must have experience of analysing data and using data to refine marketing and sales techniques.
- Strong experience in planning and optimising digital advertising.
- Good knowledge and experience of budget setting, with experience in zero based budgeting desirable.
- Strong experience in developing marketing positioning and strategy for brand/products/programming.
- Understanding of customer segmentation
- Minimum two years’ experience in managing a small team. Knowledge of how to resource marketing projects; agree task allocations, priorities and workload; provide advice to the team on problems encountered, and review individuals’ performance. Collaborative approach, able to get the best out of team members.
- Strong experience of working with design and media agencies; briefing and providing constructive feedback to achieve the best result
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build close working relationships with colleagues and external agencies and suppliers.
- A creative thinker, strong at initiating new ideas and concepts.
- Experience of working with complex customer offers
- Proficiency in IT skills relevant to the role
- Ability to analyse issues and identify solutions
- First class communicator; strong written and oral communications.
- A flexible and energetic approach to work to achieve agreed deadlines within tight schedules. Ability to work quickly and professionally at busy times
- An interest in the visual arts and architecture and commitment to the objectives of the Royal Academy
Please mention tourism-jobs.co.uk when applying for this job.